Brockton Hospital School of Nursing (BHSN), a private institution of nursing education, is an integral part of Signature Healthcare Brockton Hospital. Originally established in 1897, BHSN has long had a prestigious reputation in nursing education. Considered a venerated asset to both the Hospital and the community, BHSN has a history of attracting high caliber students. The School has been in the forefront of nursing education for over a century and has graduated over 2,600 nurses, mainly from southeastern Massachusetts. It is the only hospital-based nursing school of its kind in Massachusetts. The School is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
BHSN was originally two years in length and expanded in 1911 to three years to comply with state regulations. During the Depression, many small schools throughout the nation closed. BHSN was no exception. BHSN closed its doors in 1935 only to reopen eight years later due to the nursing shortage created by WWII. In 1988, BHSN implemented a weekend/evening nursing division designed specifically for the working adult. It is identical to the two-year day division, with the exception of taking four years to complete.
In 1990 BHSN affiliated with Fisher College to conduct a cooperative two-year day and four year weekend/evening nursing program. The program awards students a diploma in nursing from BHSN. In addition, for eligible students, an Associate in Science degree from Fisher College is awarded.
In January 2014, Fisher College accepted students into their first Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. All SH/BHSN graduates are eligible for acceptance into the Fisher College RN to BSN program. Fisher College provides a seamless transition into the program, which was designed with SH/BHSN students in mind. Many previously completed college-level courses, along with the RN credential, will be applied toward the Fisher College RN to BSN program requirements.
A new Computer Lab was completed in 2009 with sixteen computers. The front parlor, formerly known as the “Blue Room” was completely restored to its original architecture with the assistance of the Alumni Association. The space was renamed the Mary Cruise Kennedy Room to honor our oldest living graduate. In 2010, the Nursing Simulation Lab was moved to the first floor and the renovated space accommodates our simulated mannequins.